Check out this sheet of RIDICULOUS potential sentence starters I found:
- A hard on doesn’t count as personal growth.
- Do I look like a fucking people person?
- This isn’t an office. It’s Hell with fluorescent lighting.
- I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left.
- I pretend to work. You pretend to pay me.
- If I throw a stick, will you leave?
- And just how may I screw you over today?
- And your crybaby whiny-assed opinion would be…?
- I’m just working here ‘till a good fast food job opens up.
- I’m not your type; I’m not inflatable.
- I’m trying to imagine you with a personality.
- Someone here is is thinking about sex. Okay, it’s me.
- I have a computer, a vibrator, and pizza delivery. Why should I leave the house?
- I just want revenge. Is that so wrong?
- It’s sick the way you people keep having sex without me.
- I work 40 hours a week to be this poor.
- Okay, okay, I take it back! Unfuck you!
- Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it?
- You look like shit. Is that the style now?
- Earth is full. Go home.
- I thought I wanted a career; turns out all I wanted was paychecks.
Whoa this sounds like a super cool concept?? I would read this??
(I don’t totally know what you mean by ‘completely asexual’ though? Like, d’you mean aro and ace? Someone who’s asexual and sex repulsed? Someone who’s demisexual and really hardcore about it? An asexual person that won’t have sex even when offered cool magic powers? There are as many ways to be asexual as there are asexual people, so I don’t really know what ‘completely asexual’ would mean!)
Aright okay, okay. My expert opinion is kinda limited since I only consider myself something like a tin or copper star ace, and obviously I don’t speak for everybody, but lemme tell you what I think.
Everyone exists on a sort of sliding scale of how comfortable with themselves they are. Think of, say, looks for example. Even if you’re happy with your physical appearance, some days you’ll just think ‘wow, I look like a crusted over piece of snot in a beached seal’s nose’, put on a dirty tee shirt, and feel unattractive (and vice versa). I think how confident in ourselves we are can really depend on the situation, and how we’re feeling at that moment.
So, from what I can tell from this message, your character actually sounds pretty normal for his situation! If people are constantly telling him that he’s broken, it’s not surprising if sometimes he’s forced to wonder if he is broken. And what a pain it’d be that the magic is totally set up against him! I think that, under the circumstances, him being able to be mostly comfortable with himself and think that there’s nothing wrong with him most of the time probably took some work and courage. Which is pretty relatable! Between hyper-sexualized media, parents making passive-aggressive remarks about never being grandparents, and being told that they ‘just haven’t found the right person’ in the real world, I’m sure asexual humans could sympathize with an asexual character doing their best to be comfortable with themselves in what sounds like possibly an even more adverse setting.
In summary: Just your character normally feeling happy and good with their identity but being frustrated with a world that’s stacked against them isn’t offensive- if anything, it’s pretty realistic. Where you could fall into trouble is how you handle the situation and your writing. Sliding into clichés or stereotypes, or framing your writing to make it seem like there IS something wrong with him would be a problem. You get what I’m getting at? The setup isn’t inherently problematic at all, far as I can tell- so what will make or break the book is how you write it. So write your book the best you can, for starters! Then, you can ask some people to read it over and give you their impressions. If there are problematic elements that they point out, you can then fix them. You’ll probably fuck up some- but rather than not writing about it because you’re worried you’ll fuck it up, why not go ahead and do it, and then correct yourself and learn from where you fucked up in the first drafts?
Go for it!
- Hey, I can’t lose this okay.
Homoglyph can do things like:
Unicode text can do things like:
- αη∂ мσяєFor your text to look like this
You go to <html> and type
- <pre> text here </pre>
Inserting link <a href”link”>text</a> ends link
Break in line (like for poetry and stuff or whatever) <liv><br />
For your text to look like this
You go to <html> and type <code> text </code>
Small text with <small> text here </small>
Big text with <big> text here </big>
Center text (idk it works for sbar) <center> txt her </center>
Down text with <sub> text </sub>
Up text with <sup > text </sup>
Bold text <b> txt </b>
Italic text <i> txt </i>
Strikethrough<s> txt </s>